Saturday, September 24, 2005

 

ERMC

On an ERMC weekend at the moment, with the theme being collaborative ministry. Bit ironic, really, as I've just had a conversation with a member of staff who, when I raised the question, did confirm my fear that I'm participating too much in some of the sessions: making too many comments, asking too many questions, etc.. I know I do get very involved, and the problem is avoiding that being at the expense other people. It's hard to talk/blog about, as it's a little humiliating: I really should be able to temper my enthusiasm a little by now. It's not as if I'm unaware of the issue. I suppose the fact that I was aware enough to bring it up is good, but is balanced by the fact that I'm obviously not aware enough to fix it. I think it's so hard to talk about because I see it as a mark of immaturity, and because I don't want people to think either that I don't care about them/their opinions or that I'm trying to show off. Neither of those is the case: I want to participate, share and be involved, but it clearly doesn't always come over like that. Arse. I might unburden this onto at least one of the other students who I get on well with and ask her to keep an eye out. So : my most painful blog to date.


Comments:
I find it very hard to get the balance of interaction right, and will often do the same comment/question possibly at the expense of others. I don't know the answer, but sometimes I find making a big effort to stay quiet for a period helps, and hoping someone else asks the same thing/makes the same comment... In one situation I just silently made a list of my questions/observations to discuss at the end of the session. This turned out to be a rather good way of weeding out the relevant points from the waffly ones and thus helped. But I admit it is contrived.

Enthusiasm and interaction are important and yours might even help others open up so don't stop.


-random person just passing through, and being opinionated etc :)
feel free to ignore...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?