Friday, August 19, 2005

 
Yesterday I wrote about being "born again" in a way which may have sounded completely negative, and I'm not sure that I should have done: or maybe, I misrepresented myself somewhat. A large part of my concern about the phrase "being born again" is that it's not something that I see happening to me, or not as a single, momentary, act. We must all, of course, die to our sin in order to have life in Christ - that's axiomatic if you believe Paul, and, in this, I have to say that I think he's very good. I'm suspicious of a sudden change - though, as I said, I'm sure that for some people it may feel that way. But, I suspect, for most people - for most people for whom the change "sticks" - the what feels like a liminal moment is, in fact, just the turning of a switch that turns their life from one state - darkness - to another - light. The hand that turns the switch was moving before it hit the switch, and continues moving afterwards. This I'm much happier with - a realisation and a continuing growth (with a realisation of the growth that brought the person to that place in the first place, preferably). I'm also troubled by a faith which makes the "receiver" of grace very special (my own, personal, Jesus). This, I believe, is a weakness in me: I'm prone to humility in my faith (much as that may surprise people who know me!), and working out that this is not, in itself a failing (if it's embraced and acknowledged) was a major bridge for me to cross in the journey towards ordination that I shared with my DDO (Diocesan Director of Ordinands, the man or woman who guides you towards selection for training, and keeps an eye on you through the training).

There's one more thing I'd like to say about being born again, and that is that I believe that you need to be born again in every moment. In every moment, each individual, indivisible quantum pinch of time that we live, we are of sin (not to say that we sin in every moment, or even that we are born to original sin, but that our existence is couched in sin), and, because of that, Christ dies for us. In every moment. The good news, of course, is that in dying, he rises for us too, giving us life, and a life beyond sin. We are reconciled in every moment, through the pain of the crucifiction and the glory of the resurrection.

Sorry if this has all got a bit heavy, but I thought I might as well do some deeper discussion. Sorry, as well, if the style's a bit odd: I've been reading Jean Baudrillard's "Fatal Strategies" this evening, and his writing style has rubbed off a bit.

Music Today


Comments:
mike's musings: I appreciate your thoughts on faith, on being born again, etc. Sometimes I like clicking on that "next blog" to see what people are writing out there; to see someone who loves Jesus (and his family!), that's good. Blessings, c.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?