Monday, August 01, 2005

 

Profile profiling: geekery
Thought I might go through some of the subjects in my profile one by one, and explain what they're doing in there. First off is "geekery". I like doing geeky stuff: messing with software, tinkering (hacking - not cracking), setting up new services, setting up new servers, finding new ways to do things, putting together a new box out of pieces of old ones, stuff like that. I like talking about how you'd connect different protocols together, tuning for performance, discussing backwards and forwards compatibility, designing systems and all that. Some of this is what I do at work, but lots of it isn't, but I'd say it's all geekery. It's why I like using debian unstable (a Linux distribution), submitting bug reports, acting as a beta tester. And I'm proud to be a geek, if that's what it means. I've got some social skills (I hope!), so maybe I don't fit all the stereotypes, but I have to admit that when we went to a party on Saturday, the first thing I spoke to a mate about was the gnump3d server that I'd set up earlier in the week, which I guess isn't so good.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?